Superstitions from around the world from Touchstone 4 Unit 6 P.56
If you see a crow in the morning, you will have a bad day.
It’s lucky (to find a tea leaf (that is) floating upright in a cup of green tea).
Dream of a snake (that is) holding you tightly, and you will soon meet your soul mate.
If you leave your purse on the floor, your money will disappear.
If someone sweeps over an unmarried woman’s feet with a broom, she’ll never get married.
If you give a boyfriend or girlfriend a pair of shoes, he or she will leave you.
Pick up any coins you find, and you’ll soon come into money.
If you put clothes on inside out, you will get a nice surprise.
If a bride wears pearls, she will cry all her married life.
Your wish will come true if you stand between two people with the same name.
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
1. if you sleep with a mirror under your pillow
2. if you trip on a flight of stairs
3. if your cat washes its face
4. if your eyebrows grow together or your arms are hairy
5. if the bottom of one of your feet itches
6. if you nose itches
7. if a cat licks its tail
8. if your ears burns
9. if you find a four-leaf clover
10. if you walk under a ladder
11. if you use the same pillow your dog uses
12. if you step on your shadow
13. if you want to do well on a test
A. company is coming
B. it will rain
C. someone is talking about you
D. use the same pencil you used for studying because it will remember the answers
E. you are going to take a trip
F. you will be very rich
G. you will dream of what your future husband looks like
H. you will dream what he dreams
I. you will have bad luck
J. you will have bad luck
K. you will have good luck
L. you will have triplets
M. you will kiss a fool
1. If you sleep with a mirror under your pillow, you will dream of what your future husband looks like.
2. If you trip on a flight of stairs, you will have triplets.
3. If your cat washes its face, company is coming.
4. If your eyebrows grow together or your arms are hairy, you will be very rich.
5. If the bottom of one of your feet itches, you are going to take a trip.
6. If you nose itches, you’ll kiss a fool.
7. If a cat licks its tail, it will rain.
8. If your ears burns, someone is talking about you.
9. If you find a four-leaf clover, you will have good luck.
10. If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck.
11. If you use the same pillow your dog uses, you will dream what he dreams.
12. If you step on your shadow, you will have bad luck.
13. If you want to do well on a test, use the same pencil you used for studying because it will remember the answers.
I’m a superstitious person.
If a black cat walks toward you, or cross your path, then something bad will happen.
If you break a mirror, you’ll have seven years of bad luck.
If you find a four-leaf clover, it’s supposed to be really lucky.
If you see a yellow butterfly, your wish will come true.
shooting stars If you see shooting stars, your wish will come true.
You shouldn’t give people clocks as gifts because its Chinese sounds like watching someone dying.
Four is an unlucky number, in Taiwan, some hospitals don’t have four floor because four sounds like death.
moon If you point at the moon, your ears will be cut off.
Wearing red on New Year’s Eve is supposed to be lucky.
Don’t walk under a ladder.
It’s supposed to be unlucky to spill salt.
A rabbit’s foot will bring you luck.
Bad luck comes in threes. It never rains, but it pours.
Friday the thirteenth
666: the mark of Satan
knock on wood “Breaking that mirror didn’t bring me any trouble, knock on wood.”
cross your fingers
Opening an umbrella indoors is supposed to bring bad luck.
It’s supposed to be fun to learn English.
Don’t whistle at night because it will bring you bad luck.
Don’t cut your fingernails at night, or you won’t be able to see your parents when they die.
- Don’t pick up a red envelope on the street.
- If you point to the moon, your ear will drop off.
- Don’t write another person’s name in red.
- Don’t raise two dogs, raise four instead.
- Don’t take a mirror selfie at night.
- Don’t pat people (who are) gambling on the back.
- Couples shouldn’t visit temples of Lu Dongbin.
- People who pierce their ears can’t be reincarnated as a man.
- Don’t cut your nails at night.
- Knock first before entering a hotel room.
Superstition from Talk Your Head Off P.42, 43
1. Some people in the United States think a four-leaf clover is “lucky.” What do you think are five lucky things in Taiwan?
2. Many people in the United States believe if you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck. What are five things people in Taiwan believe bring bad luck?
3. What might happen if you break a mirror, spill salt, or sweep an unmarried woman’s feet?
4. What might happen if you put shoes on a table, let a black cat walk in front of you, or open an umbrella in a house?
5. Are there any superstitions in your country? Name five.
6. Who told you about the superstitions that you know? What did that person say?
7. Some people in the United States think the number “7” is a lucky number. They think this number will help them win money. What number is lucky in Taiwan? Why?
8. Some people in the United States believe when the 13th day of the month is on a Friday it is an unlucky day. What numbers bring bad luck in your country? Are there any days, months, or years that are unlucky in your country? Discuss. Ghost month July. 5F-5555
9. Do you believe in superstitions? Why or why not?
10. Have you ever had a superstition come true? Tell about your experience.
I’m interested in English.
I went to Dazhu to have dinner with my friends this afternoon. First, she picked me up at the MRT station, then she drove to Dazhu.