E4B L7 Unit 7 Then and now Jessie Lin P.1
A. Warm-up questions
1. How was your day? It was O.K. I was busy working.
2. Where were you born? I was born in Taipei.
When were you born? I was born in 1971. I was born on July 25th, 1971.
3. Where were your parents born? When were they born?
My father was born in Tainan. My mother was born in I-lan.
I guess my mother was born in 1951, but I’m not sure about my father’s age.
4. How old were you when you could speak English?
I could speak English when I was in junior high school.
5. What could you do when you were ten years old?
I could clean the house, wash the dishes, and take out the garbage.
6. Could you ride a scooter when you were 18 years old?
Yes, I could ride a scooter when I was 18.
No, I couldn’t. I still can’t ride a scooter now.
B. Regular Verbs What did you do last night?
Josh: Let me think. I stayed home, watched TV, and listened to a new CD. That’s it.
Mari: I tried to study for a math exam while my roommate played her flute.
Peter: Well, my wife rented a DVD, so we watched a movie. But I didn’t like it much.
Melissa: I didn’t want to go out, so I invited a couple of friends over, and we cooked
Rachel: Oh, I just worked late and then cleaned the house. You know – the usual.
Stephen: I chatted online with my friend Jay. He’s living in Italy.
How about you? What did you do last night?
- I _________ (watch) TV last night.
- I _________ (clean) the house.
- My friend and I _________ (chat) online.
- I _________ (study) English.
- I _________ (play) a computer game.
- I _________ (cook) a big meal.
- I _________ (e-mail) a couple of friends.
E4B L7 Unit 7 Then and now Jess Lin P.2
C. 過去簡單式Simple Past
I went home late last night.
He worked all night and finally finished his homework in the morning.
We lived in America for five years when I was a child.
My grandmother went to church every Sunday morning.
（一）過去簡單式一般動詞的句型為S ＋ V2(V2指的是動詞的過去式)
肯定句 S ＋ V2
I ate a big dinner last night.
Tina got married when she was 18.
否定句 S ＋ did not + V1
They didn’t do their homework.
He didn’t sing at the KTV last weekend.
Yes/No questions Yes/No 問句 把助動詞did放在主詞前面造問句
Did ＋ S ＋ V1
Did you sleep well last night?
Did Tom have a good time?
WH questions WH問句則將疑問詞放在最前面再依序放助動詞、主詞、動詞
WH did ＋ S ＋ V1
What time did you get up this morning?
Where did Linda go last weekend?
三、過去簡單式的副詞如：this morning, last night, yesterday morning, five years ago, in 2005…等。
E4B L7 Unit 7 Then and now Jess Lin P.3過去簡單式Simple Past
work-worked, help-helped, call-called, wash-washed
live-lived, die-died, dance-danced, smile-smiled
study-studied, cry-cried, worry-worried, copy-copied.
play-played, stay-stayed, enjoy-enjoyed, annoy-annoyed,
shop-shopped, plan-planned, tap-tapped, hop-hopped
1. 動詞字尾是無聲子音時，加ed後讀/ t /。無聲子音指的是除了/ t /之外的
/ k /, / f /, / s /, / ʃ /, / tʃ, /θ / 等。
cook-cooked, laugh-laughed, kiss-kissed, wash-washed, watch-watched
2. 動詞字尾是有聲子音或母音時，加ed後讀/d/。有聲子音指的是除了/ d /之外的/ b /, / g /, / r /, / l /, / m /, / n /, / v / 等。
call-called, rain-rained, love-loved, play-played, try-tried
3. 動詞字尾的發音是/ t /, / d /的發音時，加ed後讀/ɪd /。
want-wanted, need-needed, visit-visited, wait-waited
E4B L7 Unit 7 Then and now Jess Lin P.4
|1. be 是
2. buy 買
3. come 來
4. do 做
5. drink 喝
6. drive 開車
7. eat 吃
8. find 找
9. fly 飛
11. get 拿
12. give 給
13. go 去
14. have 有
15. know 知道
16. leave 離開
17. lose 輸，遺失
18. make 做
19. meet 碰面
21. read 閱讀
22. ride 騎
23. run 跑
24. see 看
25. sell 賣
26. sing 唱歌
27. sit 坐
28. sleep 睡
29. speak 說
30. spend 花費
31. swim 游泳
32. take 拿
33. think 想
34. wear 穿
35. win 贏
36. write 寫
E4B L7 Unit 7 Then and now Jess Lin P.5
D. Regular Verbs
a. smile 微笑 b. laugh 大笑 c. yawn 打呵欠 d. sneeze 打噴嚏 e. cough 咳嗽 f. shave 刮鬍子 g. push 推 h. pull 拉
i. sign your name 簽你的名字 j. count your fingers 數數 k. ask a question 問問題 l. wash your hands 洗手
m. touch the floor 碰地板 n. point at the door 指門
o. close the door 關門 p. open the door開門 q. pick up your pen 撿筆 r. fold a piece of paper 摺紙 s. erase the board 擦黑板
t. add two and two on the board 在黑板上寫 2+2
A: What did I do? (mime) B: You washed your hands.
E. Star Signs 星座
February 19 水瓶座
March 20 雙魚座
September 22 處女座
April 20 白羊座
October 23 天枰座
May 21 金牛座
November 21 天蝎座
June 21 雙子座
December 22 射手座
July 22 巨蟹座
January 20 魔羯座
E4B L7 Unit 7 Then and now Jess Lin P.6
F. Past Tense Questions
- When did you last take a vacation? I took a vacation last July.
- When did you last go to a KTV? I went to a KTV this February.
- When did you last take a photograph? I took a photograph last weekend.
- When did you last give someone a kiss? I gave my niece a kiss last night.
- When did you last go shopping? I went shopping this afternoon.
- When did you last have dinner in a restaurant?I had dinner in a restaurant tonight.
- When did you last send an email? I sent an email three days ago.
- When did you last use the computer? I used the computer two hours ago.
- When did you last get a gift? I got a gift last Christmas.
- When did you last lose something? I lost my umbrella yesterday.
- Where did you go last weekend? I didn’t go anywhere. I stayed at home.
- What did you buy today? I bought breakfast at 7-11.
- Who did you have lunch with today? I had lunch with my coworkers.
- Why did you choose this school to study English?I chose this school because my friend told me it’s a good school.
- What did you do after work/school yesterday? I went to the gym.
- How did you feel yesterday? I felt tired.
- What did you do on Mother’s Day? I bought my mom a necklace and took her out for dinner.
- How did you get to school today? I got to school by MRT.
- Who did you spend the weekend with? I spent the weekend with my family.
- What did you have for breakfast? I had soybean milk and a rice roll.
E4B L7 Unit 7 Then and now Jess Lin P.8
Tactics for Listening Basic Unit 5 Dates
3. Let’s Listen (Page 19)
This is Dr. Costello’s office. We’re calling to change your dental appointment to August 3rd at 9:30 in the morning. Thank you.
Hi, Don. It’s Sue. I’m calling about Cindy’s birthday party. It’s on July 28th at 8 p.m. Are you free? I’ll call you later.
Hello, Don. This is Aunt Betty. How are you, darling? Listen, I’m coming to town next month and I’d love to see you. I’m arriving on August the tenth at 11:15 in the morning. I’ll call you from the airport. Bye!
Hi, Don. This is Ted. Listen, we can’t play tennis on Saturday. Are you free Sunday afternoon, July 26th, around three?
Hello, Don. This is Francis. I’ll be back from my trip on Tuesday, September 22nd. Let’s meet in my office that Tuesday around 6 p.m., okay? Let me know.
This is Star Travel. We’ve booked your flight to New Orleans for next month. You leave on August 2nd on flight 101 from Kennedy Airport at 2 p.m.