E4B (NEW) L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.1
A. Warm-up Questions
1. What do you do? I’m a sales clerk. I sell clothing.
2. Where do you come from? I come from Taipei. I was born in Zhongshan
District, but I grew up in Banqiao.
3. Where do you live? I live in Chungho.
4. How many days a week do you work? I work five days a week, from 9 to 5.
or It depends. I work shifts. Sometimes I work seven days a week; sometimes
I work three days a week. I have 10 days off every month.
5. Where do you work? I work at Sogo Department Store in Taipei.
6. What language do you speak? I speak Mandarin, Taiwanese, and English.
7. Are you married? Yes, I’m married with three children.
8. What do you do in your free time? I like singing at a KTV and cycling along the
B. Your best friend
1. What does he/she do?
2. Where does he/she come from?
3. Where does he/she live?
4. How many days a week does he/she work?
5. Where does he/she work?
6. What language does he/she speak?
7. Is he/she married?
8. What does he/she do in his/her free time?
1. music professor 音樂教授 2. tour guide 領隊 3. model 模特兒
4. businesswoman 女商業人士 5. chef廚師 6. pilot [ˋpaɪlət] 機師
7. lawyer [ˋlɔjɚ] 律師8. journalist [ˋdʒɝnəlɪst] 記者 9. actor 演員 / actress 女演員 10. architect [ˋɑrkə͵tɛkt] 建築師11. sales assistant [selz] [əˋsɪstənt]店員
12. engineer [͵ɛndʒəˋnɪr] 工程師 13. civil servant [ˋsɪv!] [ˋsɝvənt] 公務員
14. flight attendant [faɪt] [əˋtɛndənt] 空服員 15. soldier [ˋsoldʒɚ] 軍人
16. waiter/waitress/server [ˋsɝvɚ] 服務生17. accountant [əˋkaʊntənt] 會計
18. dentist [ˋdɛntɪst]牙醫 19. hairdresser 美髮師 20. office worker 辦公人員
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.2
D. Job Questions
- Do you have a job? Yes, I have a job. I’m an accountant.
No, I don’t have a job. I’m a student. / I’m a housewife. / I’m retired.
- Where do you work? I work in a computer company. / I work at IBM.
Where do you go to school? I go to National Taiwan University.
What’s your major? My major is math.
What grade are you in? I’m in grade three. / I’m a junior.
- How do you get to work/school? I ride a scooter.
- Do you like your job? Yes, I like it very much. It’s very interesting.
No, I don’t really like it. It’s very stressful.
- What are your coworkers like? They’re friendly and helpful.
What are your classmates like? Some are very nice. Others are really annoying.
- What hours do you work/study?
I start work at 9 and finish at 5. /I have a flexible schedule. [ˋflɛksəb!] 彈性的
- What do you do after work/school? I like to sing at a KTV or play pool. Sometimes I go to the gym, and I play mahjong with my family on weekend.
E. About jobs
- What’s the most important thing about a job?
I think the salary is the most important thing. [ˋsælərɪ] 薪水
1. the interest of work 工作興趣 2. flexi-time 彈性工時 3. the people you work with 一起工作的人 4. the chances of promotion 升遷的機會 5. the work environment [ɪnˋvaɪrənmənt] 工作環境 6. the opportunity to travel [͵ɑpɚˋtjunətɪ]旅遊的機會 7 facing new challenges [ˋtʃælɪndʒ]面對新的挑戰 8. its social status [ˋstetəs]社會地位 9. being close to where you live 離家近 10. feeling you are helping other people 覺得你在幫助別人11. security [sɪˋkjʊrətɪ] 保障性 12. the perks [pɝk] (company car, cheap meals, etc.)津貼，福利 (公司車，便宜的餐點)
- Are these “real” jobs: housewife, king, novelist [ˋnɑv!ɪst], pop star, priest [prist]?
家庭主婦, 國王，小說家， 流行明星，神父
- If the salary were the same, which job would you like to do:
actor/actress 男演員/女演員, chef 廚師, fashion designer [dɪˋzaɪnɚ]流行設計師,
model 模特兒, fortune teller [ˋfɔrtʃən] [ˋtɛlɚ] 算命家, musician [mjuˋzɪʃən]音樂家,
tour guide 領隊, journalist記者
- If you had enough money never to have to work again, would you stop working? What would you do instead?
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.3
F. 現在簡單式Present Simple
I get up at 7.30.
She takes a bus to school.
Honesty is the best policy. 誠實為上策。
The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. 日出於東落於西。
一般動詞的句型為S ＋ V1 (V1指的是動詞的原形)
肯定句 S ＋ V1 (第三人稱單數動詞後要加s)
I cook dinner five days a week.
My mother cooks diner for me.
否定句 S ＋ do/does not + V1
They don’t eat breakfast every day.
He doesn’t like Japanese food.
Yes/No questions Yes/No 問句 把助動詞放在主詞前面造問句
Do/Does ＋ S ＋ V1
Do you live with your parents?
Does Tom speak English?
WH questions WH問句則將疑問詞放在最前面再依序放助動詞、主詞、動詞
WH do/does ＋ S ＋ V1
What time do you finish work?
Where does Linda go to school?
三、現在簡單式的副詞如：every day, every week, once a week, always, usually, often…等。
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.4
F. 現在簡單式Present Simple
talk-talks, learn-learns, read-reads, get-gets
- 當動詞字尾是sh, ch, ss, x, z時，則加es。
wash-washes, watch-watches, kiss-kisses, fix-fixes, buzz-buzzes
study-studies, cry-cries, fly-flies, try-tries
say-says, play-plays, pray-prays, pay-pays
have-has, do-does, go-goes
- 當動詞字尾是無聲子音如/f/, /k/, /p/, /t/, 時，加s後，應讀做/s/。
laugh-laughs, cook-cooks, stop-stops, meet-meets
- 當動詞字尾是有聲子音如/d/, /n/, /l/, /v/ 等或母音時，加s後，應讀做/z/。
read-reads, learn-learns, sell-sells, live-lives, know-knows, see-sees
- 當動詞字尾為/s/, /z/, / ʃ /, / tʃ /, / dʒ /, 時，加s後，應讀做/ ɪz/。要注意的是，發音時看的是最後一個音，而非最後一個字母，如dance就是這一類。
miss-misses, buzz-buzzes, wish-wishes, match-matches, judge-judges,
英文字母的母音（vowels）為a, e, i, o, u，其餘為子音（consonants）。
無聲子音(voiceless consonants) ：/p/, /t/, /k/, /f/, /s/, / ʃ /, / tʃ /, / θ /, /h/,
有聲子音(voiced consonants)：/b/, /d/, /g/, /v/, /z/, / ʒ/, / dʒ/, / ð/, /l/, /m/, /n/, /r/, /w/, /j/, / ŋ/
母音：/ æ /, / ɛ /, / ɪ /, / a /, / ʌ /, / e /, / i /, / aɪ/, / o /, / u /, / ʊ /, / ɔ /, / ɔɪ/,
/ aʊ /, / ɝ /, / ɚ/, /ə /
1. cry _____ 2. sit _____ 3. read ______ 4.buy _____ 5. finish ______
6. improve ______ 7. place _____ 8. help _____ 9. relax _____ 10. have _____
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.5
G. Present Simple Questions
- What do you do to relax? I do yoga to relax.
- What do you do to keep in shape? I take the stairs and eat two meals a day.
- What do you do to get rid of a headache? I usually just drink coffee, but sometimes I take a painkiller.
- What do you do to improve your English? I go to a bar and talk to foreigners.
- Where do you go to have fun? I go to the KTV or clubs to have fun.
- Where do you go to eat a delicious meal? I go to the night market.
- Where do you go to buy clothes? It depends. I usually go to the department stores, but I buy clothes from street vendors, too.
- What do you do to help the environment? I bring my own chopsticks and spoons when I eat out, I recycle paper and plastic bottles.
- What do you do to celebrate birthdays? I eat a big dinner with my family.
- What do you do to remember things? I use notes or write them on my hand.
- What does your father do in his free time? He plays mahjong.
- Where does your mother work? She works in a restaurant in Neihu.
- What language does your best friend speak? She speaks Chinese and Japanese.
- What does your brother do in his free time? He goes swimming.
- Where does your mother come from? She comes from Tainan.
- Where does your best friend live? He lives in France.
- How many credit cards do you have? I have five credit cards.
- Who cooks dinner for you? My father cooks dinner for us.
- Do you go online everyday? Yes, I like to shop online and chat with my friends
- on MSN. I also play games on Facebook.
20. Do you stay up late on weekends? Yes, I play online games until 2 or 3 in the morning on weekends.
a. keep in shape 保持身材 b. take the stairs 爬樓梯 c. get rid of 去除，擺脫
d. painkiller 止痛藥 e. improve [ɪmˋpruv] 改善 d. foreigner [ˋfɔrɪnɚ]外國人
e. It depends. 看情況 f. street vendor 街頭攤販
g. environment [ɪnˋvaɪrənmənt]環境 h. chopsticks[ˋtʃɑp͵stɪks] 筷子 i. spoon 湯匙
j. recycle [riˋsaɪk!]回收 k. plastic bottle [ˋplæstɪk] [ˋbɑt!]塑膠瓶
l. celebrate[ˋsɛlə͵bret] 慶祝 m. chat with someone 跟某人聊天 n. stay up 熬夜晚睡
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.6
A: Excuse me. Do you have the time？ A: Can you tell me the time, please?
B: Yes, it’s ten after five. B: I’m sorry. I don’t have a watch.
A: Thanks a lot. A: Thanks anyway.
時間的說法：第一種只要分開讀出時與分的數字即可。如一點十分讀做one ten。第二個用法，在三十分前，說幾分過了幾點，要把分放在時前面。一點十分就要說成是十分鐘過了一點，ten minutes after one o’clock，所以要讀做 ten after one。而過了三十分後要用六十分去減，說成差幾分到下一個點鐘。所以一點五十分，就是差十分鐘兩點，ten minutes to two o’clock，所以要讀做 ten to two。
|—||1:00 one o’clock||+|
|1.55 one fifty-fivefive to two||1.05 one-oh-fivefive after one|
|1.50 one fiftyten to two||1.10 one tenten after one|
|1.45 one forty-fivea quarter to two||1.15 one fifteena quarter after one|
|1.40 one fortytwenty to two||1.20 one twentytwenty after one|
|1.35 one thirty-fivetwenty-five to two||1.25 one twenty-fivetwenty-five after one|
|1.30 one thirtyhalf past one|
一個小時六十分，所以半個小時half hour是三十分。一刻鐘a quarter是十五分。
It’s 7.00 A.M. = It’s seven (o’clock) in the morning.
It’s 12.00 P.M. = It’s twelve (o’clock). =It’s noon.
It’s 3.00 P.M. = It’s three (o’clock) in the afternoon.
It’s 7.00 P.M. = It’s seven (o’clock) in the evening.
It’s 10.00 P.M. = It’s ten (o’clock) at night.
It’s 12.00 A.M. = It’s twelve (o’clock) at night. It’s midnight.
1. What time do you get up?
2. What time do you eat breakfast?
3. When is your lunch break?
4. What time do you finish work?
5. What time do you eat dinner?
6. What time do you go to bed?
7. Do you manage time or does time manage you?
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.8
Tactics for TOEIC Basic Unit 6 Jobs
4. Let’s Listen (Page 24)
A: So how do you like your job, Bill?
B: Well, it was okay at first, but now, after two years, I don’t like it.
A: Oh, why’s that?
B: It’s boring. I do the same thing every day. I’m really sick of it.
A: So why don’t you change jobs?
B: I’m well-paid. I like the money!
A: Oh, I see. But you should leave if you’re not happy.
B: Yeah, maybe I should.
A: Do you like teaching children, Christine?
B: Oh, yes! I love working with kids. They’re so much fun.
A: Well, I guess you have the perfect job!
B: Yeah, I like it a lot. There’s just one thing I don’t like.
A: What’s that?
B: The distance to school. It’s too far away. It takes me an hour to drive
there every day.
A: Wow. That must be awful!
B: It is, but the schools that are near me are not as good.
A: How is your new job going, Anna?
B: Good, thanks. I really like it.
A: What do you like best about it?
B: I think it’s the people I work with. They are so nice.
A: People make all the difference in a job, don’t they?
B: They sure do. The only trouble is, I have to travel a lot. I’m away from
home for about two weeks every month.
A: Yeah, that can be difficult.
B: It is. I hope I won’t have to travel so much next year.
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.9
Tactics for TOEIC Basic Unit 6 Jobs
4. Let’s Listen (Page 24)
A: Do you enjoy being a salesperson, Nancy?
B: Yes, I do like it. I get to meet so many people.
A: Is it hard work?
B: Yes, it can be. I don’t like the long hours. I’m always really tired when I get home at night.
A: That’s too bad. Why don’t you quit?
B: Because I think my boss is great to work for.
A: How long have you been working in a restaurant, Martin?
B: For more than five years.
A: Wow. You must really enjoy it.
B: Oh no, I don’t enjoy it at all! It’s hard work and pretty tiring, too. I’m on my feet all night.
A: Oh, I see.
B: But the tips are great. I really should find a better job soon, though.
E4B L3 Unit 3 The World of Work Jess P.10
摘要整理自搶救上班族英語：求職英語 by LiveABC
I. Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself. / Which one or two adjectives best describe you?
I’m honest and hardworking. / I’m a result-oriented person.
- Why are you interested in this position?
This job is a good fit for my background. / This company is a leader in the
- Why should we hire you?
I feel I would be able to contribute a lot to the company.
I know the market inside out.
- What is most important to you in a job?
A job has to be challenging, or I won’t further my skills.
I want a job where I can contribute, but also learn.
- How much do you expect to earn at this position? / What is your anticipated salary?
With my background and degree work, I feel something around
NT$50,000 would be acceptable. / I’m hoping to earn NT$50,000.
- What reasons do you have for leaving your current/last job?
I was laid off by my last employer. / I left the company because of
professional differences. / I want to further my career. I’m looking for
- What would you say are your great strengths and weakness? / What are your strong and weak points?
My greatest strength is being able to understand a customer’s needs. /
My greatest weakness is that I lack computer skills.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
I hope to be a department manager by that time.
- Do you see yourself getting married or having children in the near future?
I’m happily single and don’t plan on getting married in the near future.
- How are you at managing people? / Can you describe your history in management?
I’m a strict manager, but I make sure to reward people when they are
1. cries /z/ 2. sits /s/ 3. reads /z/ 4. buys /z/ 5. finishes /ɪz/
6. improves /z/ 7. places /ɪz/ 8. helps /s/ 9. relaxes /ɪz/ 10. has /z/