A. Warm-up Questions
- What time do you get up during the week? I get up at 6:50.
- What time do you get up on weekends? I usually sleep until noon.
- What time do you have breakfast?
I often skip breakfast because I’m always in a hurry in the morning.
- What time do you leave for work?
I leave for work at 8:00. I ride a scooter and it takes about 15 minutes.
- What time do you get home from work? It depends. I get home around 6:30
if I don’t have to work late.
- What time do you have dinner? I usually have dinner around 7:30.
- What time do you go to bed during the week?
I try to go to bed before midnight.
- What time do you go to bed on weekends?
I always stay up until 2:00 or 3:00 on weekends.
B. How do you like your job?
- Do you have a job? Yes, I have a job. I’m an engineer.
No, I don’t have a job. I’m a student. / I’m a housewife. / I’m retired.
- Where do you work? I work in a computer company. / I work at IBM.
- What do you do exactly?
I design some programs, talk to my customers, and go to a lot of meetings.
- How do you like your job?
I like it very much. It’s very interesting. /challenging.
I don’t really like it. It’s very stressful.
- What are your coworkers like? Some are very nice. Others are really annoying.
- What time do you start work? I start work at 9. / I work shifts.
- What time do you finish work? I finish work at 6.30, but I often work late until 8 or 9.
- What do you do after work? Not much. I usually just go home and relax. On
Friday night, I go shopping and have dinner with my co-workers.
- Where do you go to school? I go to National Taiwan University.
- What’s your major? I study music.
- What’s your favorite subject? My favorite subject is English.
- How do you like your classes? I like them a lot. They’re interesting.
- What are your classmates like? They are great! We’re good friends.
- What do you do after school? I chat online with friends, surf the Net, read books, listen to music, and play games on my cellphone.
E4A L2 Unit 2 How do you spend your day? Jess P.2
C. Employment from face2face Unit 3 The world of work P.123
Match phrases 1-12 to definitions a-l
- a good salary a. nice people to work with
- friendly colleagues b. you know you’ll have the job for a long time
- my own office c. a good manager
- a long holidays d. an office only for you
- a good boss e. a lot of days off a year
- job security f. a lot of money for doing your job
I’d like a job with…
- flexible working hours g. the chance to get a better job in the company
- opportunities for travel h. you get paid when you’re ill
- opportunities for promotion i. you get paid when you’re on holiday
- holiday pay j. you can choose when you start and finish work
- on-the-job training k. the chance to travel as part of your job
- sick pay l. the company you work for teaches you how to do
Choose three things above that are important to you and three things that are not important to you.
Discuss with your partners and find out:
- Who has an interesting job?
- Who has a rewarding job?
- Who has a difficult job?
- Who has the best job?
- Who has the worst job?
1. an office clerk 上班族 2. a secretary 秘書 3. an assistant 助理
4. an accountant 會計 5. a receptionist 接待員 6. an engineer 工程師
7. a customer service representative 客服人員 8. a consultant 顧問
9. a civil servant 公務員 10. a salesperson 銷售人員 11. a cashier 收銀員
12. a server 服務生 13. a chef 廚師 14. a flight attendant 空服人員
15. a tour guide 導遊 16. a travel agent 旅行社工作人員
17. a real estate agent 房屋仲介 18. a career soldier 職業軍人
19. a graphic designer 平面設計師 20. a graduate student 研究所學生
E4A L2 Unit 2 How do you spend your day? Jess P.3
E. Present Simple 現在簡單式
I work from 9 to 5.
She rides a scooter when it’s not rainy. When it rains, she takes the MRT.
I play mahjong and go to a pub in my free time.
Honesty is the best policy. 誠實為上策。
The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. 日出於東落於西。
（ㄧ）一般動詞的句型為S ＋ V1 (V1指的是動詞的原形) (第三人稱單數動詞後要加s)
1. 肯定句 S ＋ V1
I cook dinner five days a week.
My mother cooks diner for me.
否定句 S ＋ do/does not + V1
They do not eat out very often.
He does not like Japanese food.
3. Yes/No 問句 把助動詞放在主詞前面造問句
Do/Does ＋ S ＋ V1
Do you live with your parents?
Does Tom speak English?
WH do/does ＋ S ＋ V1
What time do you finish work?
Where does Linda go to school?
How does your father like his job?
When do your parents go on vacation?
What makes your happy?
Who cooks dinner for you?
三、現在簡單式的副詞如：every day, once a week, twice a month, always, usually, sometimes, often, hardly ever…等。
E4A L2 Unit 2 How do you spend your day? Jess P.4
E. Present Simple 現在簡單式
alk-talks, learn-learns, read-reads, get-gets
- 當動詞字尾是sh, ch, ss, x, z時，則加es。
wash-washes, watch-watches, kiss-kisses, fix-fixes, buzz-buzzes
study-studies, cry-cries, fly-flies, try-tries
say-says, play-plays, pray-prays, pay-pays
have-has, do-does, go-goes
- 當動詞字尾是無聲子音如/f/, /k/, /p/, /t/, 時，加s後，應讀做/s/。
laugh-laughs, cook-cooks, stop-stops, meet-meets
2. 當動詞字尾是有聲子音如/d/, /n/, /l/, /v/ 等或母音時，加s後，應讀做/z/。
read-reads, learn, learns, sell, sells, live-lives, know-knows, see-sees
3. 當動詞字尾為/s/, /z/, /ʃ/, /tʃ/, / dʒ /時，加s後，應讀做/ɪz/時。要注意的是，發音時看的是
miss-misses, buzz-buzzes, wish-wishes, match-matches, judge-judges,
英文字母的母音（vowels）為a, e, i, o, u，其餘為子音（consonants）。
無聲子音(voiceless consonants)：/p/, /t/, /k/, /f/, /s/, /ʃ/, / tʃ/, / θ /, /h/,
有聲子音(voiced consonants)：/b/, /d/, /g/, /v/, /z/, / ʒ /, / dʒ /, / ð/, /l/, /m/, /n/, /r/, /w/, /j/, / ŋ/
母音：/ æ /, / ɛ /, / ɪ /, / a /, / ʌ /, / e /, / i /, / aɪ/, / o /, / u /, / ʊ /, / ɔ /, / ɔɪ/, / aʊ /, / ɝ /, / ɚ/, /ə /
1. save _______ 2. work ______ 3. notice ________ 4. try _______
5. teach _______ 6. start ______ 7. buy ________ 8. fix ________
9. have________ 10. finish________
E4A L2 Unit 2 How do you spend your day? Jess P.5
F. 時間介係詞 Prepositions of Time
|at||a time of the day
|I usually get up at 8 o’clock.
She starts work at 8.30.
|at night/noon/midday/midnight||Linda doesn’t like to work at night.|
|on||a day 星期一至星期日前||I do yoga on Tuesdays.|
|weekend 週末||Tom goes hiking on weekends|
|a date or holiday 特定日期||My birthday is on July 25th.|
|in||a part of the day
|I take a nap in the afternoon.
Judy usually works in the evenings.
|a month 月份||I’m leaving in December.|
|a season 季節||They often take a trip to Paris in fall.|
|a year 年份||I was born in 1971.|
|a century 世紀||Instant coffee was invented in the twentieth century.|
|X||在this, that, last, every, tomorrow 等與一些特定時間表達語前面不加任何介係詞||I am busy this weekend.
She goes dancing every Friday night.
I saw you last night.
- Do you sometimes watch TV ____ the morning?
- Do you take a nap ______ 12.30?
- What do you usually do _____ weekends?
- Do you go swimming ____ summer?
- What do you usually do ______ your birthday?
- Do you eat breakfast _____ Sunday morning?
- How many cups of coffee do you drink ____ every day?
- Do you stay up until midnight ____ weekdays?
- How do you feel ______ every Sunday night?
- Do you have a snack _____ 10:00 ____ the evening?
11.Shame on you. 不要臉
13.No worries. 不用客氣。不用擔心。
14.Help yourself, please. 請自己來吧!
16.Today just isn’t my day. 今天運氣不佳!
17.How kind of you! 你多麼好啊!
18.You may rely on me. 你可以信賴我! （包在我身上）
19.It has nothing to do with me. 這不干我事!
20. Don’t be silly/stupid/foolish. 別傻了!… 愚蠢的
E4A L2 Unit 2 How do you spend your day? Jess P.6
H. Listening Let’s Listen from Tactics for Listening Unit 6 Jobs P.24
Task 1 Listen to people talking about their jobs. Do they like their jobs?
Task 2 Listen again. What do the people like or dislike about their jobs?
1. a. doing the same thing
b. the money
2. a. working with kids
b.the distance to school
3. a. the people
b. the travel
4. a. the hours
b. her boss
5. a. being on his feet
I. Daily Routine English Firsthand Unit 3 When do you start? P.35
Read about Erika’s schedule. Fill in the spaces. Use the words. There is one extra.
work, watch, go to bed, drive, takes, get up, work out, eat, is, get, read
I almost always _____________ at 6.45. Then I _________ breakfast and get ready for work till about 8.30. I ______________ to work. It _____________ about 20 minutes. I usually ___________ from 9:00 to 5:00, but I sometimes have to work overtime. My lunch break _________ from 12:00 to 1:00. Sometimes I eat in the company cafeteria, and sometimes I go to a restaurant with coworkers. I often go to the health club to _______________ after work for an hour or so, and I usually get home around 6:30 or 7:00. Then I have dinner, work at my computer for a while, and __________ books. I hardly ever ______________ TV. I usually _________ at about 11:00 during the week, but not until 12:00 or 1:00 on weekends.
E4A L2 Unit 2 How do you spend your day? Jess P.7
H. Listening 4. Let’s Listen (Page 24)
A: So how do you like your job, Bill?
B: Well, it was okay at first, but now, after two years, I don’t like it.
A: Oh, why’s that?
B: It’s boring. I do the same thing every day. I’m really sick of it.
A: So why don’t you change jobs?
B: I’m well-paid. I like the money!
A: Oh, I see. But you should leave if you ‘re not happy.
B: Yeah, maybe I should.
A: Do you like teaching children, Christine?
B: Oh, yes! I love working with kids. They’re so much fun.
A: Well, I guess you have the perfect job!
B: Yeah, I like it a lot. There’s just one thing I don’t like.
A: What’s that?
B: The distance to school. It’s too far away. It takes me an hour to drive there every day.
A: Wow. That must be awful!
B: It is, but the school that are near me are not as good.
A: How is your new job going, Anna?
B: Good, thanks. I really like it.
A: What do you like best about it?
B: I think it’s the people I work with. They are so nice.
A: People make all the difference in a job, don’t they?
B: They sure do. They only trouble is, I have to travel a lot. I’m away from home for about
two weeks every month.
A: Yeah, that can be difficult.
B: It is. I hope I won’t have to travel so much next year.
A: Do you enjoy being a salesperson, Nancy?
B: Yes, I do like it. I get to meet so many people.
A: Is it hard work?
B: Yes, it can be. I don’t like the long hours. I’m always really tired when I get home at night.
A: That’s too bad. Why don’t you quit?
B: Because I think my boss is great to work for.
A: How long have you been working in a restaurant, Martin?
B: For more than five years.
A: Wow. You must really enjoy it.
B: Oh no, I don’t enjoy it at all! It’s hard work and pretty tiring too. I’m on my feet all night.
A: Oh, I see.
B: But the tips are great. I really should find a better job soon, though.