E4A Interchange 1 L1 Unit 1 Please call me Beth. Jess Lin P.1
- Getting to know each other
Some possible topics
a. personal details b. family c. work d. study e. free time
f. last holiday g. future plans h. studying English i. home
- Is this your first class here? Yes, it is. I’m a bit nervous.
No, it’s not. I was in Jessie’s E2 class.
Why do you study English? I want to study abroad.
- What do you do? I’m an engineer.
Where do you work? I work for HTC.
- Are you a student? Yes, I am.
Where do you go to school? I go to Chinese Culture University.
What grade are you in? I’m a freshman. / I’m in my first year.
What’s your major? My major is Business Administration.
- Do you live around here? Yes, I do. /Not really. I live in Chungho.
How do you get here? I ride a scooter.
- Do you live with your family? Yes, I live with my parents.
No, I live in the school dorm with my classmates. I’m from Taichung.
- What do you do in your free time? I surf the Net and play mahjong.
- Classroom Language
- Can you speak more slowly? 可以說慢一點嗎？
- Can you speak louder? 可以說大聲一點嗎？
- How do you say this word? 這個字怎麼念？
- What does this mean? 這是什麼意思？
- How do you spell that? 這個字怎麼拼？
- Excuse me. Can you repeat that? 不好意思，可以再說一次嗎？
- How do you say that in English? 那個字的英文怎麼說？
- What’s the answer for number 4? 第四題的答案是什麼？
9. You go first. / I go first. 你先。/ 我先。
10. Your turn. / My turn. 該你了。/該我了。
11. Whose turn is this? 該誰了？
12. Wait a moment. 等一下。
13. Excuse me for a moment. 失陪一下。
14. Whose book is this? 這是誰的書？
15. Can I borrow your pen? 可以跟你借筆嗎？
E4A Interchange 1 L1 Unit 1 Please call me Beth. Jess Lin P.2
C. 現在簡單式Present Simple
一. 使用時機：現在簡單式多用在表達事實或習慣。現在簡單式的句型可細分為一般動詞與be兩種句型。幾乎每個英文句子都要有主詞跟動詞，所以當描述現在的事實狀態時，假如句子沒有一般動詞，有名詞，形容詞，介系詞片語，副詞等時，則需要有現在簡單式的be，也就是am, is, are。
S ＋ be1 ＋noun/ adjective /preposition phrase
I am an English teacher.
You are awesome!
My father is at work.
2. 否定句 : 否定句只要在be後面加not
S ＋ be1 ＋ not + noun/ adjective / preposition phrase
I am not a Japanese teacher.
You are not strict.
My mother is not at home.
3. Yes/No 問句 : 把be放在主詞前面造問句
be1 ＋ S ＋ noun/ adjective / preposition phrase
Am I late?
Are you the only child?
Is your mother from Tainan?
WH be1 ＋ S ＋ ( noun/ adjective / preposition phrase)
Where am I?
How old are your parents?
What is your hometown like?
When is your birthday?
Who 與 What 這兩個疑問詞可以當主詞
Who is there? What is on the table?
I am from Taiwan. / I come from Taiwan. 這兩句都可以。
但是不要說 I am come from Taiwan. 這是個錯誤的句子。
E4A Interchange 1 L1 Unit 1 Please call me Beth. P.3
D. Fill in the blanks with am, is, are, or what, where, when who, how.
- ____ you busy? Yes, I’m busy.
- _____ is your English class? It’s very interesting.
- ____ Taipei an exciting city? Yes, it’s an exciting city.
- _______ are your parents? They’re at home.
- ____ your last name Chen? No, my last name is Lin.
- _____ is Jess? She’s my English teacher.
- What ____ your classmates like? They’re friendly and helpful.
- _______ is Taipei like? It’s lively and convenient.
- ____ you a hardworking student? Yes, I’m a hardworking student.
- What ____ your hometown like? It’s quiet and beautiful.
- _______ I late? No, in fact, you’re early.
- ____ is your father? He is good. Thanks.
- ____ your teacher friendly? Yes, she’s friendly.
- Where ____ you from? I’m from Taipei.
- ____ your best friend from I-lan? No, he’s from Kaohsiung.
- ____ you free after class? Yes, I am.
- _______ is your birthday? It’s on July 25th.
- ____ your favorite subject math? Yes, my favorite subject is math.
- ____ your mother from Taoyuan? Yes, she’s from Tao-yuan.
- Who ____ your best friend? My best friend is Tom.
E. 慣用語 1
1. .After you. 你先請
2. A promise is a promise. 答應了可別反悔喔! …promise 承諾
3. Are you telling me? 用得著你說嗎? (你在教訓我嗎?)
4. Behave yourself. 乖一點! …behave 表現好
5. Be my guest. 我請客 (直譯: 當我的客人)
6. Come on! 算了吧! (來吧!)
7. Count me in! 算我一份 (我也參加)
8. Do something, please. 快想點法子!
9. Make up your mind! 拿定主意吧!
10.I won’t let you down! 我不會讓你失望的!…down 沮喪的
E4A Interchange 1 L1 Unit 1 Please call me Beth. P.4
F. Small Talk from Tactics for Listening Unit 13
- Getting Ready
Read these expressions. How do people use them in conversation? Check the correct answer
|Greeting someone||Ending a conversation|
|1. Keep in touch.|
|2. How have you been?|
|3. Well, it’s been nice talking to you.|
|4. How’s everything?|
|5. Hope to see you again.|
|6. Well, talk to you later.|
|7. Hello. Nice to see you again.|
|8. Hey, how’s it going?|
|9. I haven’t seen you for a long time.|
|10. It’s been great seeing you again.|
Can you write two more sentences for greeting someone and ending a conversation?
- Let’s Listen
Listen to the conversations. Is each person greeting someone or ending a conversation? Check the correct answer.
Greeting someone Ending a conversation
E4A Interchange 1 L1 Unit 1 Please call me Beth. P.5
G. Small Talk Audio Script 2. Let’s Listen
1. Oh, hello, Bob. I haven’t seen you in ages. How is everything with you
2. It’s been great seeing you again. Gee, look at the time. I’ve got to run.
Talk to you later.
3. How are you, anyway? It’s so nice to see you. What have you been doing
4. It’s been really nice talking to you. Let’s get together again soon, okay?
5. Oh, hi. I’ve been thinking about you. I haven’t seen you in such a long
time. How’s everything?
6. Where have you been? It’s been ages. How’s it going with you?
7. Listen. I hope to see you again soon. Let’s have lunch sometime, okay?
8. How have you been? And how’s your family? It’s so nice to see you again.
H. Find someone who
Can you +V1….? Do you +V1…? Are you + noun/adj/prep phrase/adv…? can 是個表能力的助動詞，疑問句時放主詞前，後接動詞原型
- Can you play a musical instrument?
- Are you afraid of cockroaches?
- Do you ride a scooter to work?
- Can you sing very well?
- Do you usually chat online?
- Do you have a pet?
- Are you into Korean dramas?
- Can you do 20 push-ups?
- Do you drink coffee every morning?
- Are you very happy today?
- Do you have an interesting job?
- Do you like spicy food?