L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.1
|Unit 2 Jobs Around the World 辨識工作，聊工作，聊國家， 比較不同國家的工作||現在簡單式be 的否定，冠詞，be＋ 冠詞＋形容詞＋名詞||工作，數字，洲， 國家，城市|
A. Warm-up Questions
- How often do you use a computer? What do you use it for?
I use it every day. I use it for work/fun.
- Where do you go on the Internet? What do you do online?
I go on the Internet everywhere because I use my cell phone to go on the Net. I usually read news, play games and chat with my friends.
- How many e-mail accounts do you have? How often do you send e-mail?
I have five e-mail accounts, but I use Gmail most of the time. I don’t send e-mail very often. Perhaps once or twice a week.
- Do you ever shop online? What do you buy?
Yes, I shop online a lot. I buy clothes, furniture, and electronic products.
- Do you spend a lot of time on the Internet? Yes, I spend too much time on the Internet. Five or six hours a day, I think.
- Do you have a pen pal or e-pal? Yes, I have a lot of e-pals.
- Is the Internet a great place to make new friends/chat/find information/spend your free time/practice your English/listen to music? No, I don’t think it’s a good place to make new friends. It can be very dangerous. But it is a great place to look for information and chat with my friends.
B. Is your job interesting?
1. salary 薪水 2. stress 壓力 3. working conditions 工作環境 4. security 保障性
The salary/pay/money is good/bad/terrible.
It’s a stressful job. / It’s an easy job.
The working conditions are good/bad/dangerous/dirty.
A civil servant’s job is stable. 穩定的
- Which job do you think is the best?
A movie star’s job is the best because they make a lot of money.
- Which job do you think is the worst? A garbage man’s job is the worst because the salary is bad and the working condition is terrible.
- Which job do you think is the easiest?
A singer’s job is the easies because all he or she has to do is just singing.
- Which job do you think is the most difficult? A doctor has the most difficult job.
- Which job do you think is the most dangerous?
A police officer has the most dangerous job.
- Which job do you think is the most interesting?
A tour guide has the most interesting job because they get to travel around the world.
7. Is your job interesting? Yes, it is, but the salary isn’t very good.
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.2
C. How do you like your job?
- Do you have a job? Yes, I have a job. I’m an engineer.
No, I don’t have a job. I’m a student. / I’m a housewife. / I’m retired.
- Where do you work? I work in a computer company. / I work at IBM.
students: Where do you go to school? I go to National Taiwan University.
What’s your major? I major in Biotechnology.
What grade are you in? I’m in grade three. / I’m a junior.
- How do you get to work/school? I ride a scooter.
- What do you do exactly?
I design some programs, talk to my customers, and go to a lot of meetings.
- How do you like your job?
I like it very much. It’s very interesting. /challenging.
I don’t really like. It’s very stressful.
- What are your coworkers like? They’re friendly and helpful.
What are your classmates like?
Some are very nice. Others are really annoying.
- What hours do you work/study?
I start work at 9 and finish at 5. / I have a flexible schedule.
- What do you do after work/school?
I usually go home, have dinner with my family. Then we watch TV together.
I surf the Net for 30 minutes before I go to bed. Sometimes I go shopping
or have dinner with my coworkers.
- How do you spend your weekend?
I like to sleep in until noon. Then I have brunch in a restaurant with my friend. If the weather is nice, we usually go for a walk or do some outdoor activities, like riding the bicycle, hiking, or surfing.
- Do you want to have a different job? What do you want to do?
students: What do you want to do in the future?
No, I don’t. I’m happy with my job, so I don’t want to make any changes.
Yes, I want to find a new job. I want to be a top salesperson and make a lot of money.
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.3
D. Countries Questions
1. How many continents are there in the world?
2. How many countries are there in the world?
3. What’s the biggest country in the world?
4. What’s the smallest country in the world?
5. What’s the richest country in the world?
6. What’s the poorest country in the world?
7. Which country would you like to visit? Why?
8. Do you know people from another country? Where’s he/she from?
E. Where in the world….?
Where in the world can you do these things? Think of a different country or city for each activity.
- Where can you ride an elephant or camel? 駱駝
- Where can you climb a very high mountain?
- Where can you go snorkeling on a coral reel? 在珊瑚礁上浮淺
- Where can you visit several islands?
- Where can you take photos of amazing landscapes? 景色
- Where can you see buildings over 500 years old?
- Where can you see a pyramid? 金字塔
- Where can you go on a tour of a palace or a castle? 宮殿或城堡
- Where can you take a cable car ride? 搭電纜車
- Where can you hear traditional music? 傳統音樂
- Where can you see traditional dance?
- Where can you eat very spicy food?
A: Where can you ride an elephant?
B: Let me think. I think you can ride an elephant in Thailand.
A: Right. Where can you ride a camel?
B: I guess you can ride a camel in Egypt.
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.4
A: Which country’s flag is this?
B: I think it’s Thailand’s flag.
A: Have you ever been to Thailand?
for yes B: Yes, I’ve been to Thailand.
A: What’s Thailand like?
B: It’s a shopping heaven and the water activities were great!
for no B: No, I haven’t been to Thailand.
A: Would you like to visit Thailand someday?
B: Yes, I’d like to visit Thailand. It’s an interesting country.
No, I wouldn’t like to visit Thailand. It’s too hot for me.
G. Continents and Countries
A: Which countries have you been to?
B: I’ve been to Japan, France, and Canada. / I’ve never been abroad.
A: Which countries would you like to visit? Why?
B: I would like to visit Mexico and Brazil.
Because I’m interested in their cultures.
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.5
D. Countries, Languages, Everyday Activities
|1. the U.S.
the United States 美國
|2. France 法國||French||French|
|3. Russia 俄羅斯
|4. Brazil 巴西
|5. Japan 日本||Japanese [ˌdʒæpəˈniz]||Japanese|
|6. Taiwan 台灣||Taiwanese||Mandarin, Taiwanese, Hakka|
|7. Mexico 墨西哥||Mexican||Spanish|
|8. Canada 加拿大
|9. Italy 義大利
|10. Australia 澳洲
|11. Korea 韓國
|12. Germany 德國||German||German|
|13. the U.K. 英國
the United Kingdom
|14. Spain 西班牙||Spanish||Spanish|
|15. Thailand 泰國||Thai||Thai|
A: Where are you from? B: I’m from the U.S.
A: What language do you speak? B: I speak English.
A: What do you do every day? B: I watch American TV shows,
I listen to American songs,
and I read American newspapers.
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.6
E. Countries, Languages, Everyday Activities
Are you International?
- Have you ever been to Thailand?
Yes, I’ve been to Thailand twice.
- What do you think of Korean dramas?
I think it’s silly.
- What is France famous for?
It’s famous for its wine and cheese.
- Have you ever tried Japanese barbecue?
Yes, I have tried it. It’s very good.
- Do you speak Taiwanese with your parents?
No, they speak Taiwanese to me, but I answer in Mandarin.
- What’s your favorite American TV series?
I love CSI and Sex and the City.
- How often do you eat Italian food?
I don’t like pizza, but I love pasta. I eat in an Italian restaurant at least once a week.
- What do you know about Canada?
It’s very big. It’s north of the U.S. People are friendly.
- What are some well-known animals from Australia?
I guess most people know kangaroos, koalas, and platypuses.
- Where do people use English as an official language?
The U.S., the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore all use English as the official language.
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.7
F. Warm-up Questions
1. How many seasons are there in Taiwan? What are they?
2. In your opinion, which months are spring/summer/fall/winter?
3. What’s the weather like in spring in Taiwan?
4. What’s your favorite season? Why?
5. When is the typhoon season? What do you do when there’s a typhoon?
6. Have you ever seen snow? Where did you see it? How did you feel?
7. What kind of weather do you like/dislike?
G. Weather Vocabulary
What’s the weather like?
It’s sunny. / It’s raining. / There’s a typhoon.
Adj. V-ing Noun
1. warm 溫暖的 2. hot 熱的 3. cool 涼爽的 4. cold/chilly 寒冷的
5. sunny/fine/nice/lovely/fair/clear/bright 晴朗的，好天氣的
6. cloudy/gray/dull/overcast 多雲的，天色暗的
7. rainy/showery/stormy 下雨的，有暴風雨的 8. snowy/icy 下雪的，結冰的 9. foggy/misty 多霧的 10. humid 潮濕的 12. stuffy 悶的，空氣不留通的
13. windy 多風的 14. smoggy 有煙霧的（因空氣污染引起的）
1. raining/drizzling/pouring 下雨的/下小雨的/下大雨的
2. snowing/freezing 下雪的/非常冷的
3. boiling/sizzling/burning/baking 非常炎熱的
1. rain/drizzle/shower/downpour/storm/ 雨/毛毛雨/陣雨/大雨/暴風雨
a storm with thunder and lightning 打雷又閃電的暴風雨
2. snow/snowstorm=blizzard/sleet/slush 雪/暴風雪/帶雨的雪/帶冰的雪
3. hail/hailstorm 冰雹/雹暴 4. cold spell/cold front 寒流/冷鋒
5. heat wave 熱浪 6. dust storm/sand storm 沙塵暴
7. fog/mist 霧 8. smog 煙霧 9. torrential rains 豪雨 10. breeze 微風
1. typhoon/hurricane/tropical storm/tropical cyclone 颱風/颶風
2. tornado/twister 龍捲風 3. earthquake/tsunami 地震/海嘯
4. flood 水災 5. mudslide 土石流 6. drought 旱災 7. famine 飢荒
8. fire 火災
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.8
What’s the temperature?
It’s 32 degrees Fahrenheit. 華氏
It’s minus 10 degrees Celsius. 攝氏
+ plus/above – minus/below
thermometer 溫度計 barometer 氣壓計
D. Weather Survey
A: Where do you live?
B: I live in Taipei.
A: How’s the weather in Taipei today?
B: There’s a typhoon. It’s rainy and hot.
A: What’s the temperature?
B: It’s 34 degrees Celsius.
|Jessie||Taiwan||There’s a typhoon.
It’s hot and rainy.
|34 degrees Celsius|
L1 Unit Jobs around the World Jessie P.9
|Jessie||Taiwan||There’s a typhoon.
It’s hot and rainy.
|London||There’s a snowstorm.
It’s snowy and freezing
|New York||There’s a tornado.
It’s sunny and warm.
|Paris||It’s foggy and cool.||14 degrees|
|Rome||There’s a heat wave.
It’s cloudy and hot.
|Tokyo||It’s windy and warm.||25 degrees|
|Sydney||It’s cloudy and cold.||7 degrees|
|Berlin||There’s a thunderstorm.
It’s humid and hot.
|Shanghai||It’s windy and cold.||9 degrees|
|Mexico City||It’s smoggy and warm.||23 degrees|