E4A L5 Unit 5 Tell me about your family. Jess Lin P.1
A. Warm-up Questions
1. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Yes, I have one older sister and one younger brother.
No, I’m the only child.
2. Do you live with your family?
Yes, I live with my parents and my brother.
No, I live alone. My parents and my sister live in Taichung.
3. How often do you spend time with your family?
I have dinner with my family almost every night/ on the weekend.
Not very often. I only see my family on big holidays.
4. What activities do you and your family do together?
We often have a big dinner on Saturday night. After that we played
Mahjong for a few hours. Sometimes we go to a KTV and sing together.
5. How often do you visit your relatives?
I don’t see my relatives very often. I only see them on big holidays.
B. Family Pictures
1. Who is this? He’s my younger brother.
2. What’s his/her name? His name is Tony.
3. What’s he/she like? He’s friendly and helpful.
4. How old is he/she? He’s 35 years old.
5. Is he/she married? Yes, he’s married with two children.
6. What does he/she do? He’s a computer engineer.
7. What are his/her hobbies?
He likes playing computer games and watching movies.
C. Conversation I come from a big family.
Marcos and Mei-li are talking about their families. Listen and answer the questions.
- Where is Mei-li from?
- Does she have any brothers and sisters?
- Where does Marcos come from?
- How many brothers and sisters does Marcos have?
- Does Marcos like big families? Why?
Listen to the rest for the conversation. What does Mei-li like about being an only child?
E4A L5 Unit 5 Tell me about your family. Jess Lin P.2
D. 現在進行式Present Continuous
‘Where are the children?’ ‘They are playing in the garden.’
You’re spending a lot of money these days.
I’m having a party this Saturday.
二、句型為主詞＋現在式Be動詞＋動詞-ing(S + am/is/are + V1-ing)
肯定句 S ＋ am/is/are + V1-ing
I am cooking.
My mother is working.
Tom and Mary are dancing.
三、常用副詞如：now, immediately, at the moment, right away, right now, these days, this weekend…等等。
work-working, help-helping, call-calling, wash-washing
live-living, hope-hoping, dance-dancing, smile-smiling
lie-lying, die-dying, tie-tying
shop-shopping, sit-sitting, run-running, swim-swimming
1. carry _________ 2. tap ___________ 3. ride __________
4. win _________ 5. forget __________ 6. lie __________
7. try _________ 8. fly __________ 9. write _________
10. see __________
E4A L5 Unit 5 Tell me about your family. Jess Lin P.3
E. Every day and today Present Simple V.S. Present Continuous
|Present Simple S+ Be1 + N/ S + V1||Present Continuous S + Be1 + V-ing|
|What does Sue do?
She’s a doctor.
Where does she work?
She works in a hospital.
What does she do every day?
She sees patients every day.
|Today Sue is on holiday.
What’s Sue wearing?
She’s wearing a T-shirt and jeans.
What’s she doing?
She’s studying French now.
|What do Tom and Mary do?
They are tour guides.
Where do they work?
They usually travel around the world.
What do they do every day?
They take people on tours.
|Tom and Mary are off today.
What are they doing?
They’re dancing in a disco.
Are they having a good time?
Yes, they’re having a good time.
I wear a uniform to school. I’m wearing a dress today.
Do you wear a uniform to school? Are you wearing a dress today?
Yes, I always wear a uniform to school. Yes, I’m wearing a dress today.
No, I don’t wear a uniform to school. No, I’m not wearing a dress today.
- _______ you ______ (look) for a job at the moment?
- _______you ______ (have) an interesting job?
- _______ you ______(study) for an exam?
- _______ you usually ______(get up) before seven o’clock?
- _______ you ______(want) to live in a different country?
- _______ you ______(try) to stop smoking?
- _______ you ______(read) a newspaper every day?
- _______ you ______(read) a good book at the moment?
F. Find someone:
- who is an only child
- who has more than two brothers
- whose brother or sister is living abroad
- who lives with his or her grandparents
- who has a great-grandparent still living
- who has a family member with an unusual job
- whose father or mother is studying English
- who has more than five uncles
E4A L5 Unit 5 Tell me about your family. Jess Lin P.4
G. Present Continuous Questions
- What classes are you taking these days? I’m taking an English conversation class, grammar class, and a yoga class.
- Are you having fun these days? No, I’m not. My job is very stressful.
- How are you doing in this class?
I’m doing very well. / I guess I should try harder.
- What’s your father doing these days? He’s working hard these days.
- Why are you studying English at this school? I’m studying here because the teachers are very good. / Because it’s close to my office.
- Are you working overtime this week? Not really. I finish work on time.
- Are you traveling this month? Yes, I’m going to Hong Kong this weekend.
- Is your father living abroad? Yes, he’s living in China now.
- Are you enjoying this class now? Yes, I’m enjoying this class.
10. Where are you shopping these days? I’m shopping in the Xinyi District.
- Where are you going this weekend? I’m going to Yangming Mountain.
12. What are you doing tomorrow? I’m going to play mahjong with my coworkers.
13. How are you getting home after class? I’m getting home by the MRT.
14. Are you eating healthy food these days? Yes, I always eat healthy food. Not really, I’m eating a lot of junk food.
15. Are you spending a lot of money this month? Yes, I’m spending a lot of money.
16. Where are you doing exercise these days? I’m doing exercise in the park.
17. Is your sister working for the government? No, she’s working for the bank.
H. Quantifiers 數量詞
All, nearly all, most, many, a lot of, some, not many, a few, few, no one/none
100 % 50 % 0%
- In Taiwan, ___________ women get married by the age of 22.
- In Taiwan, __________ married couples have children.
- In Taiwan, _________ vote before the age of 18.
- ___________ people in Taiwan live along.
- ___________ Taiwanese high school students have jobs.
- ____ % of homes have three or more televisions.
- ____% of families almost always eat dinner together.
- ____% of mothers with young children work.
- ____% of adults between the ages of 18-35 marry.
10. ____% of adults between the ages of 18-34 live with their parents.